Friday, April 22, 2016

Girls in White Dresses

With how pristine and fresh this dress looks, it may be hard to believe that this dress is in fact nearly a century old and not a reproduction. Hand made in the early 1920s, beautifully embroidered and extremely well cared for by it's previous owner, this dress bears no sign of the decades that have passed since it's original owner wore it.

I am very picky about quality so it is not often that I find myself buying vintage, as I like my clothing to be in immaculate unworn condition with no sign of damage or wear. So for a piece nearly a century old it is most impressive how well it has survived the test of time and the fact that it is in a condition that makes it so wearable for many years to come.

This is not something that can be said for the majority of today's mass manufactured items made in Chinese sweat shops that fall to pieces after a couple of wears. Whoever made this dress was extremely skilled with needle work and took great care embroidering those colourful flowers and the rainbow detail on the neckline. The fabric is soft and airy, but certainly not fragile.

One can't help but wonder who this dress used to belong to, and where did she wear it? To lawn parties? Picnics? Possibly on long hot summer days, sitting in a mahogany lined library of a manor house reading novels, or going for strolls in the countryside at dusk to search for berries in roadside brambles.

Wearing: 
Vintage 1920s - dress
B.A.I.T - shoes

11 comments:

  1. ...but where's your blue satin sash? ;)

    Anyway - I have *never* seen a '20s dress in this kind of condition. So gorgeous! Where did you find it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a find! Really is quite amazing how pristine this dress is - and white would surely show it if it wasn't! Looks so lovely on you, as just another everything seems to. Your pictures are perfection, as usual <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, what a find...such a beautiful well-preserved dress! Beautiful photos where were they taken at? xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that dress is so beautiful!! And that's exactly why I love finding perfect vintage dresses so much - when you find something that's still in such good condition and it fits you just right and you know not only was it made with care but that it was loved and treasured by someone for decades, and now it's yours to do the same with. You can't beat that feeling! :)

    Jessica - littlehenrylee.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. How amazing to find such a wonderful original dress! It looks beautiful and the workmanship and embroidery are super inspiring. I'll have to pick up my embroidery needles and try making something similar soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deeply beautiful outfit, honey - you look magnificent! I can't decide which I adore more - the genuine 1920s dress or the pine green shoes. It's a two-way tie and total joy to see both.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This dress looks so amazing!
    It's fascinating how high-quality those vintage dresses are.

    xx
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm astounded at the perfect condition of this dress! Absolutely wonderful! And it looks so fresh and elegant on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a truly wonderful find. All of my vintage (a small proportion of my wardrobe) is a bit damaged in some way, I have never found anything pristine in my price range and size!! I end up feeling sorry for pieces and want to take them home to show them some love, like buying the runt of the litter or something?! You look so lovely in this dress. Like it was meant to be! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing find Anna!! And in white - they don't usually survive! So stunning - I think she must have worn it to lawn parties or for afternoon teas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos and immaculate dress! I am astounded to hear that it is true vintage! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete