Wednesday, March 23, 2016

à la russe

The early 1920s saw Western fashion start to experiment with Eastern elements. With a large Russian population now living in Paris following the Bolshevik Revolution, major couturiers such as Chanel sought inspiration from the costumers of the Russian ballet and elements of traditional Russian dress suddenly became a part of mainstream fashion. As a result of fabric shortages post war, embroidery became very popular as it was an affordable way of adorning dresses with an elegant design and enabled designers to use the simpler fabrics that were available. Embroidered dresses and blouses modeled off the traditional Russian peasant style were popular for their exotic appearance and nostalgic charm.

I love this style not only because of the association with my homeland, but because peasant dresses are the most comfortable dresses to wear, especially in this climate. While there are quite a number of authentic 1920s dresses available in this style, there are also some great reproductions too and with the cost of 1920s vintage as it is, not to mention how frail it is to actually wear...I would recommend going for a reproduction.

In an ideal world I would have loved to pack this dress on a visit home to Russia, to photograph it in the lupin field near our house, but sadly as it is I will not be going back this year so photos in the Australian outback had to do. Not quite the same, but how sweet is that cockatoo? I didn't even notice he was there until we finished taking photos - if you look carefully he is photobombing in the third last photo! We took these photos at my favorite hiking trail, the morbidly named Slaughter Falls. As you can imagine all sorts of urban legends surround this place about slayed picnicking couples and the rumor of a lady in white being seen, but not this afternoon, no, just me in this lovely embroidered white frock.

Wearing:
The Deco Haus - Dress
Bait Footwear - Shoes
reverefolie - Bebe Earrings courtesy of reverefolie

14 comments:

  1. What a pretty, casual 20s outfit! I didn't know any of that about this particular trend, being a bit ignorant of the 20s generally, so I feel like I've learned something to ;) Really like those BAIT shoes - keep nearly buying them but I just know they won't stay on my feet! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photosss!! And thanks for sharing the info - I love learning about new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that dress recently on the Deco Haus website, it is so lovely! It looks beautiful on you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that cockatoo! Such a pretty bird to match this lovely ethereal dress. These photos are stunning, once again you have captured a beautiful combination of lighting, ensemble, and setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a surreal background for these photos! So lovely. I love the information here about embroidery in 1920's fashion as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look utterly gorgeous in that dress...and that background is so perfect. Haha, I love how the cockatoo got in the photo as well.

    Regina
    Margarita Bloom | Modern Vintage Beauty & Fashion
    BLOG: Cherry Lips Blonde Curls
    INSTAGRAM: @margaritabloom
    BLOGLOVIN Margarita Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you are so pretty and sweet in these pictures Harlow dear! I love learning about the history of peasant dresses in fashion, I must say really enjoy peasant styles myself and agree that they are so super comfortable!

    And it's really the prettiest place to take the photos, your cockatoo friend is super cute! What darling snaps, so whimsical and dreamy.... ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving the location for these blog photos, that dress looks stunning on you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally effortless and feminine in these pictures. So nice to wear something floaty in the heat, not that I know anything about heat living in the UK, but I have heard some places get hot. Tee hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sublimely gorgeous setting, photos and, of course, outfit. You are a vision of loveliness, sweet lady.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know about the Russian influence either, I haven't explored 1920s fashion as much as other decades. This is a really pretty look, I love the deco detail on the shoes and the embroidery on the dress. It looks like you are floating through the day without a care! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your outfits keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been looking at the dresses from The Deco Haus for a while now, so this is a really fortuitous post for me! I think the dress looks fabulous on you - perfectly light and airy for warmer temperatures - but I'm curious about what you think of the quality. Does the dress seem well made? How was the sizing? I would love to hear any thoughts you might have.
    Jessica, Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful! This style suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete