Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Queen of the Damned

Boardwalk Empire was my gateway drug to the 1920s but it was Underbelly Razor; an Australian television series, that really made me fall in love with the styles of the twenties. Although both of these shows are set in the same period, there is a stark contrast in the fashion the characters wear despite the fact that both shows center around underworld figures. I admit that I turn my nose up at Australian television so when I first watched Razor I scoffed at the costumes and wrote the show off for a few years. Critics have panned the wardrobe department of the series as cheap and tacky, but as I later realized - of course the clothing worn by Australians in this period was going to be far less lavish than that or their contemporaries in America.

Whereas America was enjoying an economic boom and period of prosperity during the twenties, Australia was a young country that had lost a massive percentage of it's countrymen to the Great War and times were tough. This was reflected in the fashion worn by every day people and there was a far lesser degree of decadence in the styles worn and what was available. Therefore of course the wardrobes of the characters in Razor were going to be less luxurious and more grungy with a lived in look. Looking at the historical context made me realize that my snobbery towards the show had been uncalled for.

One of my favorite characters in Razor is brothel entrepreneur Tilly Devine and this outfit is a sort of homage to the stylish underworld queen. Tilly's wardrobe is the most lavish of the characters in the series as she is one of the few who can afford to drape herself in velvet and silk, with the trademarks of her style being various shades of purple worn with single strand beaded necklaces. I believe this beaded dress would definitely not look out of place hanging in Tilly's wardrobe, especially as it is quite a luxurious piece covered all over in beading.

As a result of all of the beading it actually is quite a heavy dress to wear and my first impression on trying it on was that it was almost akin to putting on chain mail! So it will amuse you to know that the first time I wore this dress I got caught in a downpour on my way to dinner and was thoroughly drenched to the bone, you can imagine how much heavier that made the dress feel! The main thing about this story though is that I remembered to wrap my head in a scarf so although I was soaked from the neck down, my hair remained unscathed - thank goodness. It was but a small consolation prize as I drank my cocktails while sitting in a puddle of rain water.

Wearing:
Unique Vintage dress
Modcloth slip worn under the dress
Bait Footwear shoes
Lovisa necklace
earrings courtesy of reverefolie

13 comments:

  1. For a minute there I thought you were talking about a day in my country ;) ah, the random drenchings... This is such a pretty outfit and I LOVE seeing some Bait shoes. I think our obsessions with this brand are similar; I can't get enough! Such a shame they are a huge pain to buy in the UK, although I've been noticing pairs pop up on Zulily recently. It's always the styles from years ago though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever you dress you always look stunning! I love this new blog. Oh and I love your shoes, just it is big problem for me to find Bait shoes in Europe and I want them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit is very girly, what an utterly pretty dress! Sweetly sophisticated. I do love the shoes too, and it sounds indeed from your description that the look would fit into the character's wardrobe. I hadn't heard of that series, I'll have to keep an eye out for it now. Lovely porch where you took these shots! Perfect for keeping out of the rain. (I hear you on how heavy beaded things are when wet!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that whole outfit, and like everyone else wished Bait shoes were easier to buy in the UK, though I still wouldn't be able to afford them of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely ensemble!! I love that dress - such a lovely shade on you!! Love those earrings too woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos and I love everything that went into this outfit. This was an interesting read too about the difference between American 1920's fashion vs. Australian. I never would have known! Sounds like Underbelly Razor did a great job on their costuming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning dress on you, love these photo to! A very interesting read to! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Head turningly stunning dress. That colour palette is dripping with old school elegance and more glamour than one could ever shake a stick at.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful my dear, that lip colour on your is also divine! You are so right about the costuming, it was accurate to the period here. While I love Miss Fisher for all it's glamour, it has a less 'real feel' in terms of wardrobe in comparison even, and that's a local show (I'm ok with that mind you).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, you poor thing getting soaked, especially in such a beautiful (and heavy) dress! I have to admit I don't find 20s styles particularly flattering for me and they seem to be a lot harder to wear than what I'm used to, but you pull it off so well! Also I'd love to know what lipstick you're wearing! I'm obsessed with dark blood reds, they're my favourite shades to wear.

    jessica - littlehenrylee.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't watched Boardwalk Empire but I have been meaning to for forever! This dress is stunning, such beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So orientally exotic! Beautiful print and shape of the dress, pure glamour! And your setting is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete