Friday, January 8, 2016

1930s Tea Room

Today was a good mail day - new shoes, and Lime Crime's Velvetine in Wicked arrived, which called for an impromptu outing so that I could finally have the chance to wear it.  I don't believe in wasting fancy makeup on just sitting at home, so it was absolutely necessary to plan an outing for its debut. This resulted in visiting the historic Shingle Inn tea rooms in Brisbane City Hall, a rather grand little cafe furnished with all of the original furniture as it had been in the 1930s when the tea rooms were in a different location in the city. These tea rooms were popular with soldiers during World War II and are a Brisbane institution that was recently featured in an episode of Tony Robinson's Time Walks. Although the tearooms are now located in a different location from the original, everything was restored to look as it had in the thirties and forties, creating an atmosphere as if one truly had stepped back in time, with even the staff wearing period authentic costumes. I had a pot of tea to myself and a slice of lemon meringue pie, all of which was absolutely delicious and I will definitely be back for more!

In sticking with the 30s theme I wore my Hell Bunny Florrie dress which I know  some of you have already seen enough of here and there as it is a dress I wear often! Each time Hell Bunny release an album of their new looks I scour it eagerly hoping that there will be more 1930s inspired pieces and I hope that in the future there will be some more. As you can also see from these photos -I've bobbed my hair! I have been enjoying experimenting curling my hair using different methods lately and I've found that I actually prefer a curling iron to setting pincurls the night before. At the moment I am working on figuring out how to create a decent looking 30s wave.  This set was done using my regular method of pincurling the night before and I found that on short hair the curls are far too poofy and bouncy - although to be fair the second I stepped out of the door I was hit with multiple gusts of wind, and as a result spent the entire bus ride into the city pressing my hands against my hair to flatten things out a bit...

Wearing :
Hell Bunny - Dress
Bait Footwear - Shoes

14 comments:

  1. Glamorously gorgeous and sweetly charming at the same time. I really like the juxtaposition of a dark vampy lip with a floral print light blue dress. Tres chic!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a splendid tea room!!! I Love the history behind it which makes it all the more glamorous and opulent to my eyes! And I most definitely have not had enough of this dress, keep it coming back, when something works, run with it! You look stunning as always gorgeous girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that 1930's style tea room looks amazing! I really love the dress and shoes your wearing too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW this outfit is so gorgeous and that tea room looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tea rooms look fantastic, i'm glad they've been restored to exactly how they were, a true look back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tea room is just divine! Like stepping back in time. I'm loving your silvery bob and that beautiful lip color, so Jean Harlow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Such a dream place for a tea as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the new hair! That tea room looks fab too. Classy afternoon teas are one of my favourite things, but I think I may need to up my style game when I go to them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing dress, and that tea room looks like a divine place to enjoy a nice cuppa! I love your shoes too, and your hair is super cute! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would really love to visit those tea rooms! I spent a few weeks in Brisbane, over a decade ago as part of a whole year in Australia, but I wasn't into vintage then, and now I am cursing everytime I see wonderful vintage places in Australia that I completely missed!!

    I really love that beautiful dress on you, and it looks great with the dark lips. Good luck with the hair - I've just had mine chopped to shoulder-length and am working out how best to curl it now. Yesterday's hot bendy sticks didn't work terribly well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look suits you so very well - I love the vampy lips with the cute dress, as I see Jessica also said! You were made for a bob - and I feel your pain on working out how to curl hair to make it work best for you! Each length poses a new challenge I'm sure...! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look incredible! I'm loving your hair - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, that tearoom looks amazing!! I want to go there. lol... You look sooo pretty and your hair is fab!

    Regina | Margarita Bloom Retro Vintage Skincare & Beauty |
    Cherry Lips Blonde Curls | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | GFC | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so very much love this dress!! I can't pull off these colors but they look stunning on you xxx I'm loving the 30s look on you miss!

    ReplyDelete