Monday, February 8, 2016

The Perfect 1920s Beach Dress

At the risk of disappointing a number of you, it is my sad duty to inform you that this wonderful reproduction of a 1920s sailor dress was discontinued back in 2010 when Collectif had some marvelous 1920s pieces. As such, this particular dress is hard to come by at this point in time, so last year when I got my hands on the same dress in navy I was pretty ecstatic. However despite it being my regular size, back when the dress was in production the sizing was slightly different and this particular dress ran a few sizes too small. So with a heavy heart, I sold the navy version of the dress on and gave up hope - only when a week before Christmas, this dress turned up in an op shop, in a larger size -  brand new with tags and for an absolute steal of a price. I admit, I did freak out a little.

It was hot, windy - the sun was burning my retinas - but I couldn't care less because I was so happy to finally get an opportunity to wear this dress! Even the wind trying so hard to mess up my hair could not possibly ruin my mood!

As my search for 20s reproduction continues it is always exciting to find a piece that looks like it could of come from a 1920s catalog and has the same charm reminiscent of true vintage 1920s pieces. If you are lucky enough to come across this dress in your search, I would suggest sizing up two sizes - or even four if your figure is an hour glass rather than the lithe athletic build favored during the 1920s. There has been a lot of discussion about who can and can't wear twenties styles, and I for one think it is absolutely rubbish. Women of all sizes existed in the 1920s, however although many of them did take to binding their chest in favor of imitating the garcon style, today we know that doing this can cause tissue damage and I for one, strongly advise against it. Instead, go for a size up and you will find that you can easily pull off the same look, not to mention think of the freedom of movement that this will allow - which was the whole point of the flapper look to begin with!

Wearing:
Collectif Dress - op shop
Parasol - ebay
Sunglasses - ebay
Shoes - Funtasma

12 comments:

  1. Wow I really love this photos Harlow! Great location you choose and that dress plus accessories looks amazing on you my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous dress! Hmm, I'll need to keep an eye out for that one. On a side note, I'm a true hourglass shape, very 1950s silhouette rather than 1920s, and I initially thought I couldn't wear 1920s stuff but I believe it's about finding the right style for your shape. Not all 1920s clothes were the typical drop waist dress where the bust and hip measurement were the same, there's a lot more to choose from if you look deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is perfection! And you are quite right, I am really disappointed that it's not a dress I'm likely to be able to get my hands on. I really with more repro brands would put out 20s inspired pieces - I feel like it's a growing niche, but it's so hard to find! The fit of that dress is so flattering on you, and of course the accessories are totally on point. Lovely look!
    Cheers,
    Jessica, Zella Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's some weird sizing. But you got it to work for you - this looks so lovely. I thought I hadn't seen this for a while - I know Collectif's ranges almost as well as my own wardrobe, which is, admittedly, rather sad... You wouldn't even know it was a windy day in these perfect photos. I so don't look this neat in a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo pretty!! I love the sailor look with the blue and white.
    And that parasol...I heart it.

    Regina
    Margarita Bloom | Modern Vintage Beauty & Fashion
    BLOG: Cherry Lips Blonde Curls
    INSTAGRAM: @margaritabloom
    BLOGLOVIN Margarita Bloom

    ReplyDelete
  6. A breath of fresh sea air! What a marvellous dress, you look period-perfect in these photograps. I never bought that dress despite eyeing it for a year, that's good to know about the sizing in case it pops up on Ebay! Hope you're having a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  7. that dress is like made for you, and pretty! i'm also liking your sunglasses, and these photos are lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder you were excited finding this! What a stunning classic style and absolutely beach perfect indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fate wanted you to have this dress for sure! I love it when that happens, it makes the dress all the more special for you. And you do look incredible in this sweet dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Congratulations on finding this dress! It was so meant to be! <3 Love your sizing advice on 1920's style in general too. It's so refreshing to hear a fashion blogging opting for the healthier choice in fitting a certain style!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning, the styling reminds me of Bette Davis ice cream shot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning, the styling reminds me of Bette Davis ice cream shot. xx

    ReplyDelete