Friday, January 15, 2016

The 'Harlow' Dress


I do not let my short stature keep me from wearing maxi dresses! Maxi dresses are especially fantastic because one doesn't have to think too hard about what shoes to pair them with, meaning I can forego wearing heels and could most likely get away with a comfortable pair of sneakers underneath and people would be none the wiser. This particular outfit was worn for a night out full of sushi and cocktails, and because I like to be quite liberal when throwing back Yakuza Martinis, I picked this dress with the intention of wearing a comfortable pair of flats underneath to avoid falling flat on my face at the end of the night.

This beautiful 1930s inspired dress is actually called the Harlow dress, so as it is the dress of my namesake it is only fitting that I own it. I often get asked if Harlow is indeed my real name, and sadly it is not, not officially anyway! Just as Sarah Grubb reinvents herself as Delysia in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, I adopted a new name on the account of my real name (which about as exotic as mashed potatoes...) makes me wince every time I hear it. How I loathe my parents lack of imagination and creativity!

Jean Harlow's look has always been a favorite of mine, of all golden era actresses, and I am always in the process of experimenting with different toners and hair products to get that silvery white look that her hair had. Like the dresses worn by Jean Harlow, the Harlow dress embodies the sensuality of her style with a luxurious silky feel and a figure hugging fit that highlights and enhances curves.

Dress - Unique Vintage

13 comments:

  1. Stunning!!! These photos are utter gorgeousness lovely and that dress was most definitely made for you. And gah, the backdrop...so perfect and lush...where is that? I wish I had a place like that near me for photos!

    Regina | Margarita Bloom Retro Vintage Skincare & Beauty |
    Cherry Lips Blonde Curls | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | GFC | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely, lovely dress. Abd gorgeous backdrops.

    Although Lindsay ís my real name, Lane is not. I have a Prussian last name extremely hard to pronounce for people, so I chose for a simpler one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely, lovely dress. Abd gorgeous backdrops.

    Although Lindsay ís my real name, Lane is not. I have a Prussian last name extremely hard to pronounce for people, so I chose for a simpler one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it! I was trying to think of who your look reminded me of, and that's it! Jean Harlow! I think you model her distinctly mysterious, glamorous, silver screen star quality in these photographs superbly. And yes, the maxi dress really does accentuate that ~ it feels like something any of the Hollywood starlets would wear for a studio glamour shot. Divine! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes. This dress is so very stunning. And you are too. And I agree with Bonita - you remind me of Jean Harlow here. Gotta go for the super thin eyebrows look soon then? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought Harlow was probably a pen-name, but now I'm curious to know what it really is! In this part of the world, the name Harlow for a girl got quite popular in some less desirable areas, which is a shame!!

    Anyway, you look like a total knock-out in this dress. Wear all the maxis! I have to wear skyscrapers with mine though or there's so much on the floor I'd end up on my face anyway, from tripping over it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photographs are a 1930s dream! I too have adopted a 'stage name' - Porcelina sounds so much better than plain old Sarah Jane! You've inspired me to try more maxi dresses in this style, I'll be keeping an eye out for them. I really love the setting for this shoot too, it's so still and tranquil, providing the perfect backdrop for your serene beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress and it makes you look tall in the photos!

    I do love having an unusual name, it does make me feel special, and I wouldn't change it. But whenever you have to introduce yourself to someone new, especially in a loud place, you can be grateful for a common one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look like a 1930s diva! Beautiful dress on a beautiful lady. The background is just a cherry on top. And when it comes to names, as a member of the unusual named girls club, I often wished I was called something more usual. But it's a good thing in the end I think, everyone always remembers you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are so serene and idyllic! A paradise! This dress looks so sensual and sexy which I wouldn't have thought would describe a maxi dress but it does! The print is super pretty and I love a good shoulder detail! Perfect easy dress to look fabulous in!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous dress, and even more gorgeous setting! These are some seriously beautiful photos, almost like stills from a lush tropical period movie I'd certainly like to see. Also your lovely soft 30's waves are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Radiantly stunning. Wow! Both the dress and the setting here are enchantingly marvelous!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete